Dense fog in the morning which disappeared early + was followed by a perfect day. Gave chlor[oform] for Dav. to operate on Miss Scott1, Bridgelands + remove her ovaries + a small fibroid. Cycled to Faldonside + allowed Miss Dees2 to be carried down stairs + out to the front. Saw no town cases. Sat in the bower + read the papers. Got a long letter from Agnes Logan3 describing her [mental ?] condition after an attack of flu. Helen4 had tea at Elmpark5 + was down at Te Whare6 after dinner.
1 Miss Scott of Bridgelands is not identified but William Scott was tenant farmer there in 1915 and 1920 Valuation Rolls
2 Phyllis Mary ‘Fiff’ Dees (1899-1920) had suffered a head injury in a car accident 24 August 1920; she was the daughter of Robert Irwin Dees (1872-1923) and Edith Mary Boileau Dees née Henderson, the new (1920) tenants at Faldonside
3 Agnes Logan (fl.1920), daughter of Alexander Stuart Logan (c.1812-1862), advocate & Sheriff of Forfarshire and Agnes Logan née Greig, thus Dr Muir’s cousin
4 Helen Frances ‘Mousey’ Muir (1880-1963), Dr Muir’s third daughter
5 Agnes Mackintosh née Watson lived at Elm Park, Selkirk
6 Te Whare, 25 Scott’s Place, Selkirk, home of George Roberts, textile designer, and former home of John ‘Jack’ Roberts and Agnes Amelia ‘Nancy’ Roberts née Muir; the name, Maori for house, little house or meeting place may well be rooted in John Roberts’ birthplace, New Zealand
[Source: Scottish Borders Archives & Local History Service SBA/657/23, Dr J S Muir of Selkirk, medical practitioner, journal for 1920]