Much nicer day + no rain. Cycled to Kilncroft, Ettrickhaugh Mill, Dunsdale Cottages, Wad + Turn1, Curror Street + Knowepark + then to Heathpark [?], Briarbank + Ladylands Toll. Banked some money. After lunch motored to see Jessie Henderson, taking Frank [Muir]. Sent Baptie round to Shielshaugh + we walked round the Duchess’ Drive, cutting down through Howebottom to Shielshaugh + then to Fauldshope + home2. Got Lady Napier down to the Home. There was some trouble with motors + she didn’t arrive till six. Lord N. came with her + called at Elmpark, whom he at once asked for [beer?].
1 If this is a correct reading it presumably refers to Waddel and Turnbull’s Riverside Mills, Dunsdale Road but would have been an anachronistic description, the mills having changed both ownership and name by 1919
2 Howebottom, grid reference NGR NT419,269, Shielshaugh NT418,265 and Fauldshope NT412,256
[Source: Scottish Borders Archives & Local History Service SBA/657/22, Dr J S Muir of Selkirk, medical practitioner, journal for 1919]